When you trace it all the way back, it comes down
to three individuals: Frederick Stanley, Duncan Black, and Alonzo
Decker. Three passionate individuals who built powerful companies that
they were so proud of they put their names on them.
Hundreds of years later, we’re proud to continue their legacies and we’re proud to carry their names forward.
In 1843, Frederick Stanley started a small shop in
New Britain, Connecticut, to manufacture bolts, hinges, and other
hardware from wrought iron. With superior quality, consistent
innovation, and rigorous operational improvement, Stanley’s company
defined excellence, and so did his products.
In 1910, S. Duncan Black and Alonzo G. Decker
started their shop, similar in size at first, in Baltimore, Maryland.
Six years later they changed the world by obtaining the world’s first
patent for a portable power tool, and the company they built has been
changing the world ever since.
Both companies grew in parallel over the ensuing
decades, amassing an unparalleled family of brands and products and an
even more impressive wealth of industry expertise.
In 2010, the two companies combined to form Stanley
Black & Decker, to deliver the tools and solutions that
industrial companies, professionals, and consumers count on to be
successful when it really matters.
Just as it was in 1843, our passion for excellence
is seen around the world in our disciplined operations, purposeful
business growth, and loyal customer relationships.